Monday, September 17, 2012

Project Bright Panel: SATA Cable Sleeving

I worked on sleeving my SATA Data last week, but ran into a bit of a hiccup.  Two of my 5 cables have both right angle ends.  It is near impossible to get the shrink tube over those ends, so I was only able to sleeve the SATA cablest that had a least one straight connection.





I ordered some new cables from Newegg that can be sleeved property.  Ended up getting some round SATA cables for easier cable management.  They arrived Friday along with some other components. 

And just a word of advise to anyone that wanting to sleeve their SATA cables... I had to stretch out my shrink tubing (a lot) for it to go over the connection heads.  Otherwise it is VERY difficult to get them over.  Maybe it is just the brand of cables I am using, but it seemed much more difficult than it should have been.

Finally got around to sleeving my new Round SATA Cables.  The look great and are a bit easier to bend.  Also went ahead and sleeved the motherboard header pins along with the USB header from the front panel.




I ran into a bit of a problem when trying to plug the cables into the mobo with the heat-shrink tubing installed.  They were a bit more stiff than normal, making them difficult to bend, and adding a bit too much stress for my liking in the SATA port.  So I ended up using my heat gun again on the areas that had the shrink tube making it nice and hot.  While still pliable, I inserted the SATA Cables into the Motherboard, and allowed them to cool with the exact bend angles that I wanted.  Now they fit perfectly without any undue stress on the ports.



I now have everything I need to finish sleeving the rig. Will update with more pics soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment